FACT: 71% of our planet is covered in water by oceans, rivers, lakes and other bodies of water. This water supports life for many plants and animals as well as supporting life in many other ways. We use water everyday for farming, agriculture, manufacturing, transportation and power generation. Unfortunately we are facing a water crisis. There is an increase in human demand for our water resource. Not only are we using water but extreme climate changes are depleting our water sources.
So what can we do? We can take simple steps to conserve water, even in our homes.
- Reuse the same glass for water.
- Take shorter showers.
- Don’t let the faucet run while brushing your teeth.
- Wash fruits and veggies in a bowl & use the water to water the plants in your house.
- Only run the dishwasher & clothes washer when you have full loads.
- Don’t use water to thaw foods.
- Use a rain barrel to collect water for lawn or garden irrigation.
- Sweep your driveway and sidewalks instead of spraying them off with water.
- Purchase water saving appliances. There are low-water-use dishwashers, washing machines and toilets. Put aerators on your faucets.
- Landscape with native plants. This cuts down on watering.
Think before you water. We all need water to survive and to survive we need to conserve our precious resource!